I think many people would find that they too have more ability and creativity than they thought, if they had the time to devote to it. That is, if they weren’t in jobs that made them unhappy already. That last thought, that honestly may be one of the major reasons why so many people don’t wish to talk to me about my unemployment/self employment. They are working jobs that make them unhappy, they don’t feel that they can do anything about it. They may be jealous, and wish the same for themselves. Whatever it is, I know I’m just speculating. Until I’m actually earning enough to pay rent I don’t know if I can really say much besides I’m enjoying myself.
After thinking about this, I came up with a list of the things about my new position that make me happy. Things that I feel, if employers could provide them to their employees, would make employees feel so much happier at their jobs.
- Flexibility is provided, because people have a life outside of work
- Trusting that their employees want to get the job done
- Understanding in that we are human, and do human things
- An avid wish to provide professional development opportunities
- An environment where making mistakes is understood to be part of the learning process
- Lying to their superiors
- Intentionally hiding information
- Blaming miscommunication (or anything really) on their subordinates without due cause
That said, I hope that for whatever job comes my way in the future most of the things on the first list will exist while nothing on the second one be present.